Frank Davey Yeo & Lilian Jack

This piece was sent to me many years ago by Dale Yeo

Dale wrote this piece in 1998 for his mother then 88, his aunt then 83 and uncle then 77 so they were able to see it.He quotes "it seems to have meant a great deal to each of them and happiy they are still alive today (2001)"


Frank Davey Yeo, born on January 25, 1905, in Lancashire, England, was the oldest of Frank and Emily Yeo's five children.

After emigrating to Canada in 1913 with his mother and the next two oldest children, Stella and George, he joined his father - who had come overseas one year earlier - at a rented farmstead near Pilot Butte, Saskatchewan.

Frank grew up on the farms at Pilot Butte, Markinch and Francis. He attended school only until grade 6, not all that uncommon a situation in those days. At that time, his father, troubled by very painful headaches, needed his son at home to help. It was always a regret, we hear from others in the family, that father Frank had to have his son leave school so young. Over the next twenty years, Frank remained on the various family farms to help his parents. When they moved to Craven in 1940, so did he. For several months then, he worked out at farms in the district until the army beckoned.

As a young man, Frank loved to play bridge and cribbage. He also became a very graceful dancer.

A favourite story of his centred around a night of cards with three bridge playing neighbours. Feeling hungry later in the evening, he went to boil up some rice for himself and the other men. Somehow, he put in way too much rice, the result - a little later on - being rice flying everywhere in the kitchen.

When World War II broke out in September of 1939, Frank was not long in joining the Canadian war effort. He and brother Alf followed brother George's example by enlisting in the South Saskatchewan Regiment in the late summer of 1940. Frank took ajob as a leather worker with Birt Saddlery Ltd., staying with them until 1950. During that post-war span, two more Sons were born:Clayton, on April~, 1945, and Ross, on July 7, 1947.Ross, though, died in infancy on June 4, 1948.

David Ross Yeo died in 1948 when he was only 10 months old. The Funeral Announcement was placed in the local newspaper

Funeral service for David Ross Yeo, 10 months old son of Mr and Mrs Frank Yeo, 313 Furby street, who died June 4 at the Winnipeg General Hospital, was held Saturday at the family residence with Rev. W.E. Donnelly officiating. Burial was made in the St James cemetry.Thompson's funeral home had charge of arrangements.

Frank's interest in the military remained keen and he eventually joined the Winnipeg Grenadiers militia. By 1960, he had risen to the rank of Warrant Officer II.
After leaving Birt Saddlery in 1950, Frank joined Ashdown Hardware, a well-known firm in Winnipeg. Its founder had been one of that city's most prominent businessmen back in the late 1800's.

Frank was to remain with Ashdown's for the rest of his tragically short life. Beginning as a warehouse worker, he advanced in time to the accounting department and worked there until 1969. He was respected, in the words of one co-worker, for "always being a gentleman" - courteous, honest and hardworking.
Heart problems plagued Frank in his later years. He died suddenly of a heart attack onFebruary 28, 1969. He was only sixty-four years of age.

Lillian Yeo, together with her husband Frank, had raised sons Dale and Clayton through these years. She herself worked part-time at the Hudson's Bay Company and later at the Grace Hospital.For many years, she continued to reside in Winnipeg, first at Lions Place and later at Lions Manor - located, as irony would have it, on Sherbrook Street, only a few hundred yards from where she first met Frank nearly sixty years earlier.

In late November of 1998, after she had suffered a stroke six months earlier, Lillian moved out to the Crocus Court Personal Care Home in Roblin, Manitoba.

There she rejoins oldest son Dale, now retired after teaching 35 years in the same high school in Roblin. Brother Clayton left Winnipeg for England nearly thirty years earlier and - after years of working with Amnesty International there - is today a barrister living in London, England.

One member of the Yeo family has returned to his English roots.

Frank Davey died in 1969 after a brief illness.
On February 28, 1969 after a brief illness at the Winnipeg General Hospital Frank Davey, beloved husband of Lillian Evelyn Yeo (Jack) of 400 Fórhy St. Mr. Yeo was born in Lancashire, England in 1905 coming to Canada in 1912, lived in Regina, Sask, area until the outbreak of the Second World War when he joined and served with South Saskatchewan Regi-ment. He also was a member of the Winnipeg Grenadiers. Mr. Yeo was employed with Birts Saddlery until 1950 when he joined Ashdown Hardware and remained until his death. He was a life member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie No. 23. Surviving besides his wife are two sons, Gordon Dale of Roblin, Man, and Clayton Jack of Winnipeg; three grandsons in Roblin, two sisters Mrs.
H.Ireland (Stella) of. Easton, Sask. and Mrs. H. Dupruis (Bernice) of Regina; two brothers, George of Regina and Alfred of Victoria. Funeral service will be held in the Thomson Funera1 Chapels', Broadway and Furby, Monday, March 3rd at 11:00 a.m. The Rev. Dr. W. E. Donnelly officiating. Interment in the Military Section of Brookside Cemetery: Courtesy parking west of the funeral chapels.


Back to top

  © 2003-6 Sheila Yeo | For more information on the Yeo family and the research contained in this site email sheila@yeosociety.com or call me on +44 (0)1626 360978